Hiking is one of the best outdoor activities.
You get to enjoy the beautiful scenery while getting a good exercise when you hike. While it can be a fun and beneficial activity, you cannot go on a hike without any preparation. This is even more true when you plan to go solo.
Solo Hiking Dos
Here are five things you have to do when you want to go solo hiking:
- Check the weather before you go out. The weather in some areas can change drastically on short notice.
- Make sure you are wearing the right clothes for the trail. You have to be prepared for the cold or the heat.
- Just as with the clothes, you should pick shoes appropriate for trail use. Pick shoes that are comfortable and will provide adequate protection.
- Be sure to bring a GPS, or if you do not have that, then a compass will do. This goes without saying that you must know how to use those devices.
- Make a checklist of all the things you need to carry with you so there is less chance that you will forget something.
Solo Hiking Dos
Now let’s go through the things you should not do when solo hiking.
- Do not pick a trail that is too difficult for your level.
- Do not leave garbage along the trail when you hike. Bring home your trash with you.
- Do not forget about the bears, snakes, and other hazards you might encounter.
- Do not forgot to tell someone of your destination and your estimated time of return.
- Do not move out of the official trail when hiking.
These are just some of the dos and don’ts you should be aware of when it comes to solo hiking. While it is important to have fun while in the outdoors, it is far more crucial for you to stay safe.