What’s more fun than hiking?
You can try hiking with your dog. That will make the experience doubly fun. But before you take your furry friend with you on your outdoor adventure, you need to know a few things first.
Useful Tips for Hiking with Your Dog
While it is okay to take your dog with you when doing outdoor activities, you have to take extra care. Your furry friend might not be prepared for the strain that lies waiting along the trail.
To help you out, here are some tips you can use:
- No matter how friendly your dog is, some people will be afraid of it. Most trails that allow pets will require you to keep your dog on a leash.
- Make sure you will carry more than enough water for you and your pet while on the trail.
- Before you go on the trail, you need to determine if your pet is healthy enough to go hiking. Take your pet to a vet first.
- Stay away from plants like oak, poison ivy, and others that can be harmful to your pet. If you come across a plant you are unfamiliar with, it will be best to stay clear of it.
- Make sure you allow your dog to get plenty of rest time. Provide your furry friend with water each time you stop. Pick a spot that is under the shade.
- Once you are done with the hike, check your dog for fleas and other parasites that it might have picked up along the trail.
- Sometimes, dog clothing is needed. If your dog is shorthaired, it may require more protection.
- Bring a first-aid kit for your pet. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
These are just some tips you can follow when you want to take your dog for a hike. It is your responsibility to make sure your pet will be okay. It is also up to you to make sure you and your dog will have fun while on the trail.